Friday 2 March 2012

Breathtaking - Kaieteur Falls, Guyana


Throughout my two years living in Guyana, I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of some wonderful people, nurtured some lifelong friendships and had some of the most breathtaking experiences this life has to offer. While I will save the stories of my friends and acquaintances for another day, another year, heck maybe even in the afterlife, I will share with you my breathtaking experience, taking the team on a trip to the world famous Kaieteur Falls.
Kaieteur Falls - Guyana
For those of you who may not know anything about Kaieteur Falls, it is one of the nature's secret marvels. This giant waterfall is a feature of the Amazon Jungle and is a massive 822ft high when measured from its plunge to the bottom. Simply put, just an awesome sight to behold! According to the World Waterfall database, Kaieteur Fall is five times the height of the Niagara Falls in Canada http://www.niagarafallstourism.com/, and two times the height of the Victoria Falls in Africa http://sevennaturalwonders.org/the-original/victoria-falls
Kaieteur Falls - Guyana
Its greatest distinction lies in the unique combination of great height and large volumes of water, dumping 663 cubic meters per second (23,400 cubic feet per second). Thus it is one of the most powerful waterfalls in the world, rivaling even the Jog Falls of India's Karnataka state during the monsoon season http://www.mustseeindia.com/Jog-Falls
Now that I have done my geography lesson of the day, let me tell you about the trip… 
To begin with the trip took about six months to come to fruition because I was deadly afraid of flying over the jungle in a (13) seat aircraft and although this is a trip the pilots make two or three times per day, it gave me little comfort. 
Meet Daredevil #1 - Dellon
Anyway, Dellon (Graphic Designer) and Liza (Marketing Assistant) are the two daredevils in the crew and they would not allow me a moment’s peace if we didn't do the trip. Understand me clearly, this is a 75mins flight or a quarter of the way across the jungle and I naturally hate flying, but I had to take one for the team. 
So on the faithful Saturday morning, we all gathered at the Ogle Aerodrome and sat there for close to an hour because of a delay with the aircraft, well you know normally that would have been my queue to go back home, cause as far as I was concerned this must be some weird omen. 
After the long delay, we all boarded and you can be assured that I was the laughing stock for my team, because even before the plane took off, I had the seat in front of me in a tight grip. Well, I think the pilot knew what was happening because he must have found every air pocket to fly that plane through just to hear me say “OH SHIT” OR "WTF". 
Yessir, that's the aircraft &
Daredevil #2 - Liza
If you think that was scary though, the landing strip at the Kaieteur National Park is about a 400m dirt path, when I saw it from the plan I was like, “WTF Oh Shit WTF” much to the delight of a giggling plane and my smiling girlfriend Angelica, who sat beside me all the time remarking, "you're such a coward". Having said that though, I must also say it was one of the smoothest air craft landing I ever had, don’t ask me how cause I don’t know but all I will say is, “them pilots got skills”. While on the ground we had an unbelievable time, probably the best experience of nature and the wild I have ever had and guess what, I had my 400m lens camera to prove it. The pristine park provided a backdrop that was to die for, I cannot recall ever being in the middle of no where and yet felt totally safe and at complete peace... well except for the occasional thought of the 75mins of flying to go back. 
To get to the landing from where the fall plunges, we were taken on a 20-30mins trek of the expansive landscape by the tour guides, and that my friends was filled with just the sounds of nature in the wild and wind. "Life is not about the number of breaths we take, but living in the moments that take your breath away" - Hilary Cooper. Standing there was simply magical, and the kind of stuff that really does take your breath away. It's safe to say I made it back to be telling the tale, the trick on the dreaded return flight was to sleep and that I did much to my own amazement but I guess the peace & tranquility I experienced  at the Kaieteur Park had filled my heart so much, I was totally relaxed on the return trip.

From inside the plane after take off
I recommend to anyone who haven't been to a place that took your breath away, take a trip to Guyana and please make sure to do the Kaieteur trip http://www.kaieteurpark.gov.gy/ believe me, you will not regret a moment of it. Another time I will tell you all about the 14hr (night & day) drive through the jungle for a weekend in Lethem, a small town that sits on the border of Brazil. 


Thanks Guys!!!

Digicel Guyana - Marketing Team

Love & Respect!!!
Follow me on twitter: @maninja2
Find me on facebook: Donovan White

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers