Saturday 11 February 2012

Where Do Broken Hearts Go - Whitney Houston



A Youthful Whitney
In 1985 as a skinny 14 year old kid, I discovered and fell in love with the sound and beauty of Whitney Elizabeth Houston. At that age youthful crushes are frequent occurrences that often wither and die until the next new hot fad comes along. Well, I have seen many new hot fads come and go and still but to this day, when I hear Whitney’s music I am forced to listen and reminisce on how she made me feel as a 14 year old kid.
Songs from her first album self titled ‘Whitney Houston’: All at Once… You give good love… and saving all my love for you.., were party or as we called them then, Fete anthems.

Fast forward to Saturday February 12, 2012; just imagine my shock and awe at reading my twitter timeline @maninja2 and seeing “RIP Whitney Houston” trending. It is hard to describe exactly how I felt at that moment but I knew my stomach rumbled, my knees buckled and my eyes swelled with tears.
Over the years I used the internet to keep tabs on Whitney… waiting, hoping and wishing that she would recover from the many trials and tribulations her life had undergone, but it seems it wasn’t to be as drugs and bad decisions got the better of her and that all conquering voice that she was so richly blessed with.

Whitney’s soulful traits run deep into the hallowed halls of Americas R&B royalty; from Mother Cissy Houston to Cousin Dionne Warwick and Godmother Aretha Franklin it is no wonder she could make the music she did for so many years.

Whitney’s Career

Whitney at the Grammy Awaards
Born August 9, 1963 - Whitney Elizabeth Houston was a singer, actress, producer, mother, wife and model. Did you know Whitney is the most awarded female act of all time, according to Guinness Book of World Records?

Her list of awards include:

(2) Emmy Awards  

(6) Grammy Awards

(30) Billboard Music Awards

(22) American Music Awards

All toll, this amazing woman has a total of 415 career awards as of 2010 having sold over 170 million albums and singles worldwide which by the way, is also a record. Houston is the only artist to chart seven (7) consecutive No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits. WOW what a career!!!

1.       Saving All My Love for You

2.       How Will I Know

3.       Greatest Love of All

4.       I Wanna Dance with Somebody

5.       Didn't We Almost Have It All

6.       So Emotional

7.       Where Do Broken Hearts Go

Some people work their whole lives and are regarded as great for maybe having one (1) billboard hit; Whitney had all of seven… yes 7!!! Who else can say that? Mmmm clearly I will have to research that for my follow up post on this great woman, my childhood crush.

Other Key Achievements

·         Houston is the second artist behind Elton John and the only female artist to have two number-one Top Billboard 200 Album awards.

Just Whitney - Album Cover
·         Houston's 1985 debut album, Whitney Houston became the best-selling debut album by a female act at the time of its release. The album was also named Rolling Stone's best album of 1986, and was ranked at number 254 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

·         Her second studio album, Whitney (1987), became the first album by a female artist to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart.

·         Houston's crossover appeal on the popular music charts as well as her prominence on MTV, starting with her video for How Will I Know, influenced several African-American female artists to follow in her footsteps.

Combining Film & Music

·       Houston's first acting role was as the star of the feature film The Bodyguard (1992). The movie's original soundtrack won the 1994 Grammy Award for Album of the Year.

·       I Will Always Love You from the Bodyguard sound track became the best-selling single by a  female artist in music history. With this album, Houston became the first act (solo or group, male or female) to sell more than a million copies of an album within a single week period.

·       The album also makes her the only female act in the top 10 list of the best-selling albums of all time, at number four.

·       Houston continued to star in movies and contribute to their adjoining soundtracks, including the films Waiting to Exhale (1995) and The Preacher's Wife (1996).

·       The Preacher's Wife soundtrack would go on to become the best-selling gospel album in history.

·       Three years after the release of her fourth studio album, My Love Is Your Love (1998), she renewed her recording contract with Arista Records.

·         She released her fifth studio album, Just Whitney, in 2002, and followed that with the Christmas-themed One Wish: The Holiday Album in 2003.

Marriage

Whitney with Husband Bobby Brown
I always read with keen interest who Whitney dated, as long as it was in the newspapers or magazines and it said Whitney I would gobble that shit up. Whether it was her dating Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Randall Cunningham or Hollywood Film star and funny man Eddie Murphy, I would always feel like the jilted lover, my poor little heart would break in tiny pieces.

Then came Bobby Brown, he and I were about the same age and my thoughts were then; why him? Then by the late 90’s when rumors started to fly about Bobby’s constant run in with the law for Marijuana possession and use, Whitney’s weird behaviors and use of hard drugs; you just knew this union was going to be the destruction of her sublime talent and immaculate achievements that had made her a global megastar and simply the most unmistakable voice in all of show business.

Only Whitney & God knows why she remained married to Bobby for as long as she did. In many media interviews she professed her undying love and adoration for Bobby, which one would suppose would have been the reason, along with trying to hold her family together for daughter Bobbi Kristina. Her 14 year marriage came to an end in 2006 when she divorced Bobby, I guess she must have finally come to the realization that she was so much better than what she became… she had lost so much of what made her legendary; her voice, that striking beauty and that unbelievable presence that we the fans who adored her knew as just – Whitney!

Walk good my love and continue to bless angels with that unmistakable voice you were blessed with, until we meet again – ‘Saving all my love for you’!

Some Trending Tweets since Whitney’s passing

@Lgrandison Leethan Grandison
I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU. Thanks for being with us ONE MOMENT IN TIME. R.I.P Whitney Houston.

@VH1VH1
#NW "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" on @VH1 - R.I.P. Whitney Houston


@CaroWozniacki Caroline Wozniacki
R.I.P Whitney Houston! She will be missed! One of the best female singers of all time!

@LadyGagaAsian Lady Gaga
R.I.P Whitney Houston -She was kind, sweet, wonderful, amazing, beautiful. A voice, a talent & spirit that will forever remain incomparable

@MadonnaNation Madonna Nation
R.I.P. Whitney Houston. We will always love you and never forget your voice. May the angels protect you and sadness forget you.






1 comment:

  1. Great post. Her body of work speaks for itself. She was a true legend and her voice was one for the ages. Sad to hear that such a beautifully talented soul has left the world.

    A tremendous loss, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Followers